Please submit this form when you are ready to secure your place in the World Marathon Challenge 2023.
The World Marathon Challenge 2023 is a logistical and physical challenge organised by Global Running Adventures / Polar Running Adventures to run seven marathons on seven continents in seven days. Competitors must run the standard 42.195 km marathon distance in Antarctica, Africa, Australia, Asia, Europe, North America and South America within 168 hours, or seven days. There is also an option to run a half marathon distance. The clock starts when the first marathon begins in Antarctica. Please note that the 2023 event field is limited to 50 places and these places are allotted on a first come first served basis. Previous editions of the race have sold out. In 2023 there is also the introduction of a team competition where the fastest combined marathon times of the top three team scorers will be declared the winners. As part of a team you are also included in the individual competition. See 'Rules and Regulations'.
Initial registration is a simple two-step process. You must
- Complete the Application Form on this page, agreeing to the Terms & Conditions, and
- Pay the full entry fee or deposit. The overall fee is EUR 42,000, but the price is reduced to EUR 39,900 if making one full payment. An installment payment option requires an initial deposit of EUR 14,000 to reserve a place in the race field. Two further payments of EUR 14,000 are required at later dates. See Terms & Conditions for details.
Please print this page and retain for your records. Once the full entry fee or deposit has been received, your place will be confirmed in the field.
- The 7 marathons are scheduled to take place at Novo, Cape Town, Perth, Dubai, Madrid, Fortaleza and Miami.
- Participants are required to run the classic marathon distance of 42.2km (26.2 miles) at each of the seven locations to complete the overall World Marathon Challenge. There is also a half-marathon option.
- A time limit of 8 hours is imposed on each marathon, which can be altered at the discretion of the race director.
- Individual results of each of the 7 marathons will be categorised into male and female categories.
- The male and female with the fastest combined / average marathon times will be declared the outright winners of the World Marathon Challenge 2023.
- There will also be a team competition in the 2023 World Marathon Challenge. The fastest combined marathon times of the top three team scorers, who finish all seven marathons, will be declared the winners. Teams can be composed of more than three people but must have both male and female runners amongst their scoring three.
- If you are part of a team, you are automatically included in the individual category / competition.
- Any athlete who exhibits severe conditions that are deemed detrimental to their health may be withdrawn from the race by officials or stopped temporarily while appropriate treatment and advice is administered.
- The Event Director's decisions are final.
Your submission of the registration form accepts the Description and Rules & Regulations as outlined above. The overall fee is EUR 42,000, but the price is EUR 39,900 if making one full payment. The installment payment option will have entrants make an initial deposit of EUR 14,000 to reserve their place in the field. Two further payments of EUR 14,000 are required by the deadlines outlined in the Terms and Conditions.
- Fill in the Application Form
- Click Register for the World Marathon Challenge 2023
- Agree to the Terms & Conditions when prompted
- Make the relevant payment when contacted in order to confirm your place in the World Marathon Challenge 2023
- Later: Complete and return standard forms for entering Antarctica as required by logistics company- a basic medical information form, personal information form, waiver form, and terms & conditions form
The World Marathon Challenge 2023 is scheduled to begin on January 31st 2023. Please proceed to the terms and conditions to see details of the trip.
The World Marathon Challenge ® 2023 offers the opportunity to run 7 Marathons on 7 Continents in 7 Days.
World Marathon Challenge 2023 Schedule & Destinations
||Latest Arrival at Cape Town, South Africa|
|Jan 29||Race Director Briefing|
||Marathon in Antarctica|
|Feb 1||Marathon in Cape Town
|Feb 2||Marathon in Perth
|Feb 3||Marathon in Dubai
|Feb 4||Marathon in Madrid
|Feb 5||Marathon in Fortaleza
|Feb 6||Marathon in Miami|
* Every effort will be made to keep to the scheduled departure and end date, but all flights are subject to weather, aircraft serviceability and local conditions.
Entry Fee for World Marathon Challenge 2023
The entry fee of EUR €42,000 (€39,900 if paying in full upon registration) includes
- Flight by specialist jet from Cape Town to Novo, Antarctica - the location of the first marathon.
- Professionally organised marathon events at Novo, Cape Town, Perth, Dubai, Madrid, Fortaleza and Miami.
- International charter flights to each of the marathon locations.
- Contingency plans and arrangements to cater for weather delays in Antarctica to meet a 7-day schedule.
- Accommodation in Dubai or Madrid if feasible during the trip
- Meals provided on charter flights
- Aid / Food / Drinks stations at each event as per any standard marathon
- Medical support throughout the trip.
- Shower facilities at each location except Antarctica
- Carbon offsets for all flights
- Professional video footage and photos of the World Marathon Challenge for personal / private use.
- Medals, t-shirts, souvenirs and merchandise related to the World Marathon Challenge
*Please note: The entry fee does NOT include flights from your homeland to Cape Town, accommodation in Cape Town, or your flight home from Miami at the end of the Challenge. Participants are also responsible for their own food outside of charter flights.
All participants should be in excellent health and capable of completing the World Marathon Challenge and have appropriate clothing including antarctic wear. Please consult with your doctor before entering the 2023 World Marathon Challenge.
A one-off payment of EUR €39,900 to firmly secure place will be accepted upon initial registration. Alternatively, a EUR €14,000 deposit to reserve a place will be accepted. This deposit should be followed by two additional installment payments of EUR €14,000 payable by 30th March 2022 and 30th June 2022.
The preferred method is by bank wire transfer: contact Richard Donovan at rd@worldmarathonchallenge.
- Cancellations before 1st January 2022 can be charged €1,000.
- Cancellations from 1 January 2022 - 30th March 2022 can be charged €5,000.
- Cancellations from 1 April 2022 to 30th June 2022 can be charged €14,000.
- Cancellations after 30th June 2022 can be charged the full entry fee.
Please note: It is recommended to obtain trip cancellation insurance in case you need to cancel your trip through unforeseen circumstances. In the event of withdrawal by a participant, however, every effort will be made to find a replacement competitor rather than charge any fee. A withdrawing competitor may also directly transfer his or her place to another person, but we will not undertake to transfer your entry to a future year.
There are no passports or travel documents required for Antarctica. However, participants must have a valid passport beyond their date of return and the appropriate visa documents (if required for their nationality) for all other destinations on the trip: South Africa, Australia, United Arab Emirates, Spain, Brazil and the USA. The organisers will assist with supplying any supporting documentation necessary for visas if requested. Participants will also need to adhere to Covid-19 policies for each destination, which may include vaccination certificates and PCR tests.
Trip Cancellation / Travel / Medical Insurance
Each participant is responsible for their own insurance to cover trip cancellation and interruption. For example, you may get injured and need to cancel your trip. Furthermore, weather-related delays and other delays can occur in such an extreme environment and the organisers cannot be held responsible for such disruption. Participants are responsible for their own travel / medical insurance for the World Marathon Challenge trip in case of a medical emergency or otherwise.
There are limits to how much baggage each participant can bring. The baggage allowance traveling to Antarctica is 25kg. The standard business class baggage allowance is 2 x 23kg.
Use of Image
I understand that during the World Marathon Challenge or in related activities, I may be photographed, filmed, and/or videotaped. I agree to allow my name, photo, video or film likeness to be used for any legitimate promotional purpose by the event holders, producers, sponsors, organisers and assigns.
I certify that I will have adequate insurance to cover unanticipated trip cancellation /interruption, and any injury or damage that may occur on the trip, or which I may suffer while participating, or else I agree to bear the costs of such injury or damage myself and do not hold the organisers responsible for same.
Voluntary Participation and Assumption of Risk
I acknowledge that I have voluntarily applied to participate in the World Marathon Challenge 2023 and that I have carefully read and understand the description, terms, conditions and recommendations of the expedition. I am participating in this trip with full knowledge of the hazards involved in such an endeavor. I also realise that the dates of the trip and locations may change from those specified on this form.
I also understand that Global Running Adventures works with a specialist polar logistics company in the organisation of the marathon in Antarctica and that I may be required to complete their standard polar travel forms and agree to their conditions.
I understand that Antarctica is the most remote and one of the most inhospitable and undeveloped regions of the planet. Logistics problems are enormous, the weather ferocious and unpredictable. Delays of days or even weeks must be anticipated.
I understand that the risks of traveling and competing in the Antarctic include, without limitation, extreme weather conditions can change rapidly and without warning; that temperatures in January at Novo can fall below -40 degrees Celsius, with wind chills even lower; that bad weather and aircraft malfunction could strand the expedition for many days; that prolonged exposure to the Antarctic environment can even cause loss of fingers, toes, and body parts due to frostbite, or loss of life due to hypothermia, dehydration and other means.
Furthermore I understand that participating in physical activities such as running in the Antarctic area may, in a worst-case scenario, place me at risk of death from the frigid conditions. I fully understand that I am in a remote region devoid of many medical supplies and facilities, as well as rapid evacuation capabilities.
In consideration of being permitted to participate in this trip, I fully assume responsibility upon myself for such bodily, mental, and financial injuries caused by, but not limited to various surface transportation, accidents, aircraft malfunctions, hazards of travelling in the Antarctic environment, forces of nature, civil unrest, terrorism, and other perils. I freely assume these and all other risks inherent in this Antarctic Expedition, in exchange for the thrill and adventure of travelling to Antarctica.
Furthermore, I understand that I will undoubtedly suffer from a combination of marathon fatigue, jet lag and sleep deprivation as the event progresses onto the other six continents, all of which may have adverse consequences on my health. The impact of wide temperature fluctuations will also be a factor in impacting my health, with a possible variation of 50 Degrees Celsius at minimum. I fully assume responsibility upon myself for these potential adverse health impacts as well as any bodily, mental, and financial injuries caused by, but not limited to various surface transportation, accidents, aircraft malfunctions, hazards of traveling, forces of nature, delays, civil unrest, terrorism, theft, and other perils.
In addition, I am aware that the exact marathon locations and dates may change from those currently outlined in the itinerary.
I understand the World Marathon Challenge 2023 is unique and without comparison to other logistical and physical challenges and there is a real risk the event may not conclude within seven days and will not hold the organisers responsible for same..
I hereby assume all risks, including those mentioned above, as a result of my participation in the World Marathon Challenge 2023.
Release from Liability
In consideration of the services of Global Running Adventures, Polar Running Adventures, agents, owners, officers, volunteers, participants, employees, sponsors, medical personnel and all other persons, or entities acting in any capacity on their behalf: I hereby agree to release, indemnify, and discharge them, on behalf of myself, my children, my parents, my heirs, assigns, personal representatives and estate as follows:
I release Global Running Adventures (Rosan Glas, Galway, Ireland) and all of its agents, representatives and other entities acting on their behalf from any and all liability, actions, causes of actions, suits, debts, and demands that I may have for bodily injury, death, or property damage, loss of income, delays and claims of every sort and nature whatsoever which may arise out of or in connection with my participation in the World Marathon Challenge 2023.
Global Running Adventures reserves the right to cancel the 2023 World Marathon Challenge if it does not reach a minimum level of participants to make it economically feasible to operate. The refund of all monies received will be the limit of our liability. We will not be liable for other costs incurred by you in preparing for the trip. In the event of a late cancellation of the race due to unforeseen circumstances, Global Running Adventures agrees to provide the same trip at the next possible opportunity at no additional cost to the competitor.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
The validity, construction and performance of this Agreement shall be governed in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Ireland. The parties hereby irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Republic of Ireland as regards any claim, dispute, or matter arising out of, or in connection with this Agreement.
I have carefully read and understand the description, terms, conditions and recommendations of the 2023 World Marathon Challenge and I am participating with a thorough knowledge of the hazards involved. I freely and voluntarily agree to the terms and conditions of the 2023 World Marathon Challenge by signing this contract.